Winter is the most prevalent season for house fires, but knowing the facts and implementing safety tips will make your holiday more enjoyable and safer for your family.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA.org), U.S. fire departments respond to a fire every 25 seconds with more than 1.2 million fires, which accounts for approximately $11.5 billion in property damage. The holidays are peak time for home fires due to cooking accidents, electrical failures, dry trees, space heaters, fireplaces, candles, and holiday lights, to name a few. For more information, visit the NFPA safety website at http://tinyurl.com/hlthgrs.
To help avoid holiday fires and protect your family, here are a few tips:
Trees: Water your holiday tree often, ensure there are no faulty lights, and keep the tree away from heat sources like fireplaces and space heaters.
The NFPA Video shows just how flammable a dry tree is versus one that is watered regularly.
Consider a ‘fire resistant’ artificial tree instead.
Holiday Lights: Check for melted or damaged wires/plugs on your holiday light strands and turn all lights off while away from home.
Cooking: Turn pot handles inwards to prevent accidents in the kitchen. Avoid wearing loose clothing which can ignite easily. Don’t store items on the stove.
The leading cause of home structure fires is from cooking and accounts for two out of every five house fires.
Designate the kitchen as a “kid-free zone,” especially during the holidays.
Fireplace: Hanging stockings in front of the fireplace is a common practice, but make sure stockings are hung elsewhere while the fireplace is in use.
Fireplace screens or glass doors are good investments, especially when children are in the house.
Candles: Keep candles out of the reach of children and blow each candle out before exiting your home.
Electrical candles are great alternatives and give a similar effect.
Fire Escape Plan: Know your escape routes and practice with family members. Purchase fire extinguishers for every floor of the home and test smoke detectors.
Emergency Preparedness Kit: Keep contact numbers handy for first responders, doctors, and insurance carriers. In case of destruction to your home or office, contact a licensed, emergency services and property damage restoration company at www.pauldavis-thegables.com
For more than 50 years, Paul Davis has restored residential and commercial properties damaged by fire, water, mold, storms and disasters. The experts at Paul Davis understand the complex process of recovering from property damage and provide complete services; there is no need for the expense and confusion of hiring multiple contractors. Paul Davis is a one-stop shop for disaster damage and restoration. Paul Davis has more than 375 independently owned franchises in the US and Canada. The professionals at Paul Davis are certified in emergency restoration, reconstruction and remodeling. Visit the website at www.pauldavis.com.